Monday, January 3, 2011

You're just "Two Tents."

I met last week with my advisor from my doctorate program and my mentor.  One of the items of discussion that hit me was that I've become a "professional interviewer," one that makes the finalists but doesn't get picked for the job.  (For clarification I'm seeking an assistant principal position in and outside of my district.)

One of my flaws (of many I'm sure) is that I work very hard to do the best job I can do.  This does take an unorthodox commitment on my part to work well beyond the hours of my job.  Heck, I'm blogging right now.

Here's my point:  What I took away from the meeting was a description of my personality as "intense" and that I need to learn to "lighten up."  This (ironically) immediately made me think of the joke:


A guy went to a psychiatrist. "Doc," he said, "I keep having these alternating recurring dreams. First I'm a teepee, then I'm a wigwam, then I'm a teepee, and then I'm a wigwam. It's driving me crazy. What's wrong with me?"
The doctor replied, "It's very simple. You're two tents."


So, do you have any advice on how to balance high expectations of yourself, without being considered "TOO INTENSE"? (typed in caps lock to emphasize intensity.)

Have any advice for me?

1 comment:

  1. Funny - I thought I was the only one that suffered from "TOO INTENSE!" (I am not going to deny it - I do take my work seriously - especially if I am passionate about my job.)

    I personally believe that being labeled "TOO INTENSE" is more of someone's opinion than a personality flaw.

    This might sound crazy, but I practice my responses prior to any meetings and look for ways to improve them. I try to focus on story telling and include personal experiences that are relevant, thought provoking and at the same time stir an emotion.

    Well that's my TWO CENTS on TWO TENTS!

    Anyway, nice work - enjoyed the story!

    ReplyDelete